Published October 2, 2014
Contra Dance on Saturday, Oct 4th
Beginners’ lesson at 7:30pm, Dance at 8pm.
L’Arche Hall, 341 Main St., Wolfville, NS
The leaves are starting to turn, school is back in full swing, and it’s time for a social dance in Wolfville! Music by Andy Webster will keep us dancing into the night!
- Tickets $10 at the door
– Step-by-step instruction throughout
– No partner necessary
– Bring indoor shoes and a water bottle or cup
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
Published August 18, 2014
I challenge you to eat a 50% local food diet starting the month of September!
With our bountiful land of agriculture, our Acadia Farm plots, the surrounding markets and our friendly farming neighbors this should be no problem!
The hope is to consume and purchase food from local producers to support our farmers and producers and gain a better relationship with your food! Let’s all jump on this bandwagon and support a sustainable and healthy future!
*Warning* you may get hooked on the intense flavours when buying fresh!
Here’s the link to the event and club: http://nslocalfoodclub.wordpress.com/join/
Published August 15, 2014
Tags: Zucchini, Zucchini Ideas
Ever wonder how you can use all of the zucchini that you plant?
How about trying a few of these ideas out?
- Zucchini Stuffed boats
- Cut the zucchini in half and scrape out holes along the “boat” and stuff with goodness! Some people stuff them with meats, cheeses, more veggies, quinoa, rice… almost anything!
- Zucchini Pasta
- A wheat noodle alternative for those interested in avoiding wheat. The zucchini can be spiralized, shaved or cut thin. You can eat the noodles raw, bake them crispy or steam them. It is very yummy with a Mediterranean pasta sauce and toppings! Another option is the slice the zucchini into thicker and wider slices and use it as the pasta noodle layer in lasagna!
- Zucchini Fries
- No need to have deep fried potatoes when you can coat zucchini sticks with a crispy mixture and bake them! Maybe dip them with a fresh tzatziki from your cucumbers!
- Stuffed Zucchini Flowers
- Why wait for the zucchini’s to be ready? You can stuff the flowers with cheeses and herbs. Typically they are then batter fried. In Italy this is a special dish called fiorri di zucca! Very elegant and special dish, a great dish to impress friends at a potluck!
- Zucchini Relish
- This alternative will help to store your zucchini for longer periods of time. Who doesn’t love a spicy relish at a BBQ!
- Bread, Muffins, Cake
- Zucchini is super easy to incorporate into baking! Whether you make a savory Indian inspired zucchini muffin, whole grain loaf, zucchini banana loaf or a chocolate zucchini cake you will be pleased with the moistness and texture zucchini adds to your baking!
- Add it to stews, soups and sauces
- Zucchini has a high water content which allows it to break down into dishes easily. May as well add some extra nutrients to your dishes!
- Eat it raw
- Among many great ways to prepare zucchini, the flavour is great alone! Add it to salads, dip it, add it to sandwiches. The options are endless!
- Freeze it
- Ok, you have a lot of zucchini and no time to make these awesome dishes, so freeze it! You now have zucchini for the whole year!
P.s. Did you know that on August 8th it was National Zucchini Day. On this day you sneak a zucchini onto your neighbors porches!
For those of you who couldn’t make the seed saving workshop I have attached the handouts used. They are very helpful if you are interested to save your seeds to use next season!
Also here is the link to the seed saving catlogue that was talked about.
Published August 14, 2014
Last night at the seed saving workshop there was discussion about young agrarians meeting up to discuss interesting topics.Everyone is welcome, not only the “young”
Here is the info below:
On Tuesday August 19th, the Just Us! Centre for Small Farms is pleased to host Sara Dent (the BC Coordinator of the Young Agrarians http://youngagrarians.org/ )…we thought her visit would be a good excuse to have some folk drop by and perhaps think about our own Young Agrarians chapter!
It will be pretty casual…from 7PMish on…we’ll have some refreshments and a bonfire…just drop by if you have the time. Please forward the invite to young folks on the farm or anyone interested in farming.
Published August 13, 2014
There has been a lot of action at the farm lately. Check out the photos link at the top of the page to see some fun photos of what the farm has been up to!